Monday, August 18, 2008

Another Meta-Blog, No Repect!

While reading some blog aggregation this morning (during a compilation session), I ran across this blog posting this morning.

I had an experience very similar to this one just a few short years ago (no names of course). This sort of thing seems to happen more often in small companies whenever you have developers working for non-developers that believe they are tech-savy.
The approach I took was to educate the non-developers in what I do and how I go about doing it. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't work at all because, like anything you have to give and take.
The experience I most remember was discussing a new database design for some inventory tables. I believed in a normalized transactional design and they believed in a highly non-normalized design to support Access reports. At first I got angry because they were spoiling my 'pure' design, and the DBA was angry because he was trying desperately to create a normalized design for the database. Everybody walked away from the table angry, the developers, the dba, and the project owners because nobody budged.
After the meeting, I was reflecting on every bodies positions on the matter; and there seemed to be no way to move forward. I decided to suck up my pride and accept a badly designed database model in order to move the project forward; it's called "Compromise". The project was canceled in the end anyways, the stakeholders decided the cost was too much for their simple project.

No comments: