Friday, October 26, 2007

Fixing the home network

Years ago just before I had left my cushy development job (post IPO) a few of my co-workers and I were all in the market to purchase a new home. Most chose based off of 'location', some chose for value, while I chose for the school district. At this time, Wireless A/B was the rage and most wired networks were based off of cat 5 and if you had the $$$ you deployed on 100mb.

Instead of wiring my home with cat 5 I foolishly jumped on the band-wagon for Wireless. Why is Wireless foolish? Well, if you have occasional laptop's its fantastic, I can even work outside if I need to. However, if you have a media server, a HTPC, multiple children's PCS, laptops, it gets to be too much. I have switched brands, bumped up to N from mimo-G and I am still getting bogged down at peak times (post school hours). So, I am now going to 'retro-wire' my existing home for Cat 5e complete with closet which I'll blog about quite extensively.

No comments: