Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Internet Addiction

The brief times when I'm not listening to Sirius satellite radio; I am an avid NPR fan/listener. On the way home from the gym today I happened to catch a segment that was discussing internet addiction.
Just the brief mention of the word addition in a subject topic is usually enough to catch my attention. Usually I scoff at the idea of a person being addicted to something as mundane as Food, Beverage, or Video games. Most often, I agree with any experts and term some of these items to be nothing more than a compulsive behavior. I do understand that there is a psychological draw to these items and people can and usually focus their energies on a non-threatening item as a way of escape. however, this particular topic hit very close to home.
Due to my career and hobby of choice, I am what many can consider a prime candidate for internet addiction even though I do not possess an addictive personality. However, for fun I took an online test to determine if I am an addict; turns out I am.
The individual that was being interviewed on NPR was undertaking a test to see if he could 'survive' 3 consecutive days being disconnected to the outside world. This got me to reflecting if I could survive; which is a short answer of yes I could. Now, my life would be radically changed as a significant portion of my income is a derivative of internet access; however, I do not define my self-being around my perusals. This minor detail for me drags the whole discussion of "is it an addiction or not" back on the table. If a person is merely 'dependent' on an item to facilitate their work or life is addicted, then we can apply the same label to individuals that use a hammer, screwdriver, or an other tool.
Thoughts?

No comments: