Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The death of Customer Service

Has anybody else noticed the overall death of common courtesy and with it customer service? From the simple act of not saying "thank you" to somebody that holds the door open for you, or takes the time to hold an elevator to the act of greeting a new customer.

I recently had the luxury of driving to south Phoenix to pick-up a part for one of my vehicle's after work rather frantically to get through before closing hours. When I called, I was looking for a specific part in a specific color in a specific condition. I was rather ecstatic that they not only had what I was looking for, they had it in stock. To preserve time because of where I work and where they were, I asked to have the part waiting for me.
Not only was the part not waiting they didn't even have it in stock. It wouldn't have taken the clerk more than the 15 minutes that I waited there than to have told me up front they didn't have it; and as such they would have preserved a customer. Going forward, I don't think I could trust the company simply because they don't both to confirm they have items in stock; even when asked. What was lacking hear wasn't a mistake, or a misplacement of inventory, it's simply the misplacement of customer service.

No comments: