Monday, July 2, 2007

Problems of the future

I recently was able to attend a .net developer meeting here in Phoenix just last week. The meeting was to here Scott Guthrie and Stefan Schackow showcase some of the newer .net technologies that will be gracing our door stops; including Silverlight. While all the new technology was great and awe-inspiring; unintentionally a singular phrase hit home with me: "Fix the problem".

One thing I have seen in my relatively short career was a whole lot of code being written and rewritten and I wonder if this was what he was getting at. At first glance, you might think that the phrase means to not start coding until you know what problem you are trying to solve; however, I am torn on this concept. I am one of those individuals that needs to experiment and tinker to properly absorb something and without coding for pleasure I am not sure I would code at one.

I think I need some perspective on this one.

No comments: