Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Programmer or Developer?

Meta Blog Warning!

I recently read a post from Hans-Eric Grönlund about the difference between a Programmer or a Developer. I have been declaring for years that there is a difference; and while I don't necessarily agree with Hans-Eric's exact definition of the differences I applaud his insight.
I am particularly curious about why he believes a developer should start with an gui interface, as that is usually not the best practice; although this is often a religious choice to make.
One particular comment I agree on:
If you think the implementation is unimportant as long as it does what you want, and is reasonably maintainable, then you’re probably a Software Developer
I recently worked for a company that rubber-stamped this in-and-out. The main 'guy' cared more about what the Gui did and looked like than what the 'stability' of the code. It is hard to succeed as a developer when the mantra from top-down is "just make it pretty". My take has always been, don't sweat the small stuff. Get it to work, make sure it meets the business needs, then make it pretty, then optimize the performance. It's not rocket-science, its not engineering, its poetry.

No comments: