Saturday, June 2, 2012

So My in-house SAN was at it's limits; but considering I had built it before I had arrived at Ping it had served its purpose. It was time to go! I had a few reasons 1. I am considering going without a home PC. 2. It wouldn't work right with my MacBook. 3. I had no access to my files from my iPad / Android Phone I started reviewing the solutions out there as well as considering my online options. I ended up ruling out online options as I wanted to be able to stream / view from boxee box(s) as well. I was stuck with going back to a local SAN. I have long been a reader of TheRegister and ran across a article from the hardware side called 10 local storage solutions. I loved the reviewof the WD Live box. I personally don't care about the throughput as long as it is quick enough for my purposes. The single terabyte size isn't good enough and I was happy to see Fry's carried a 2 TB version. There are lots of plus's to this device. 1. It manages its own share's and its DLNA certified so I can attached from any device! 2. Its super tiny, and is a fraction of the size of my previous solution. 3. With the myCloud solution, I can access my files from anywhere. 4. Very economical for the size and purpose. Now i need to find a off-site backup solution...

No comments: